A Well-Stocked Kitchen
When you work in a professional kitchen, there’s something called par stock which is simply the items you keep on hand at all times. These are the items you use on a regular basis. Without a par stock, the kitchen wouldn’t run.
Several years ago my friend, Helen, pointed out to me that I was always at the grocery store. Yes, I love to grocery shop. But, I hadn’t translated my knowledge about how a professional kitchen runs to my kitchen at home. I wasn’t stocking my pantry and freezer.
All those grocery runs were taking up valuable time. Now, I keep my pantry and freezer stocked. It’s a necessity.
Here’s what I did to get started:
- I made a list, divided into categories, of all the items I use on a regular basis. This included pantry, refrigerator, and freezer items.
- I circled the items I didn’t have on hand currently. These were added to my pantry as I was financially able.
It’s pretty simple. Here’s a free printable to help you get started:
Here’s a list of some of the items on my par stock list:
- dry beans – garbanzo, navy, black
- rice – brown, wild
- gluten-free flours that I use most often
- lentils – puy (french) and brown
- gluten-free pasta
- nuts – almonds, pecans, walnuts
- seeds – pepitas, sunflower
- Hol-Grain Brown Rice Bread Crumbs
- dried fruit – raisins, currants, apricots, cherries, & cranberries
- chia seeds
- vanilla beans
- gluten-free oatmeal
- quinoa flakes
- sweeteners – coconut palm sugar, agave, honey, maple syrup
- Specturm non-hydrogenated shortening
- oil – coconut, canola, olive, grapeseed
- vinegar – raw apple cider, red wine, white wine, rice
- foods we eat regularly for lunch
- coffee beans
- salt – kosher, sea
- fruit – apples, bananas
- condiments – mustard, mayo, salad dressing
- meats – chicken, ground turkey
- canned goods – tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce
- baking powder & baking soda
- xanthan or guar gum
- cocoa powder
- household supplies – paper towels, toilet paper, napkins
It shouldn’t take much longer than 15 minutes to make your list. If your pantry isn’t stocked, that 15 minutes will be incredibly well spent.
Next week, I’ll show you how I take this list and streamline it to make the most of your grocery planning and shopping time.
What items are essential to make your kitchen run smoothly?
Free Printable in this Post: