We used to make blueberry muffins with my mom – they were one of our favorites because of the crumbly sugar crumb topping. When she wasn’t looking we’d pull the topping off of the muffins and pop it our mouths, leaving the muffin behind. I wanted to create a muffin that was delicious but also included lots of healthy ingredients. There isn’t any crumbly sugar here. What you will find, though, is a delicious, light muffin packed with antioxidants from the blueberries, which fight cancer, and vitamins B6 & c, potassium, and fiber from the bananas. The egg whites really make these muffins light. Make sure not to whip them past soft peaks or they can deflate when you add them to the muffin mix.
Update 10/20/09: This is linked to Cupcake Tuesday at Hoosier Homemade.
Serves: 12 muffins
- 1 cup pureed banana
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- ½ cup unsweetened apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ cup agave nectar
- 2 cups All Purpose Gluten-Free Flour Blend
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 egg whites, beaten to soft peaks
- ¾ cup fresh or frozen blueberries – frozen blueberries need to be thawed in a strainer and drained of any excess juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12 tin muffin pan with paper liners. Spray papers lightly with cooking spray.
- Put flour blend and baking soda in a flour sifter and sift.
- In a large bowl, stir together banana, oil, apple juice concentrate, and water. Set aside.
- Whip egg whites starting on low speed. Once they break up and begin to foam, increase speed to medium and continue to beat until they are whipped to soft peaks. Set aside.
- Quickly dump the entire contents of the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Then, take ¼ of the egg whites and stir them into the batter until just combined. Fold in the remaining whites in two additions.
- Finally, gently fold thawed and drained blueberries into the batter.
- Put ¼ cup of batter into each paper liner. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. These muffins are best the day they are made. Refrigerate any uneaten muffins in an airtight container.