It’s summer and so many people are on the go and in need of a simple-to-make, healthy gluten-free snack that travels. Whip up a batch of this granola and you’ll have something delicious to take on road trips, to the pool, on the plane, or just for a long afternoon at the park. I use honey and palm sugar instead of agave for those of you who prefer a different refined white sugar alternative.
It was a favorite among recipe testers. In fact, it got many “best granola ever!” responses, even from families and husbands. Of course, Joe and I love it. There are big clumps of crunchy, cinnamony-sweet oats, seeds, and nuts. We always dig through and pick out the big chunks and the little pieces in the bottom of the jar get sprinkled on yogurt.
Some of the healthier ingredients include:
- Pepitas, which Natural News calls one of nature’s perfect foods, and contain amino acids, calcium, potassium, B vitamins, and beta carotene
- Sunflower seeds contain vitamin E, vitamin B1, manganese, and magnesium
- Flaxseed meal is an incredible source of omega-3 fatty acds
- Oats are a whole grain and a good source of dietary fiber
- Unsweetened applesauce stands in for some of the oil so the overall fat content is reduced
To make this nut-free, simply substitute 1/2 cup each of pepitas and sunflower seeds for the almonds.
Also – stop by DinnerTool.com. They’re featuring one of my favorite slow cooker meals this month.
Other Gluten-Free Granola Recipes
- Chewy Granola Bars from SS&GF
- Crunchy Gluten-Free Granola from She Let Them Eat Cake
- Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars from Adventures of a Gluten-Free Mom
What are your favorite summertime, easy-to-travel with snacks?