It’s summer and so many people are on the go and in need of a simple-to-make, healthy gluten-free snack that travels. Whip up a batch of this granola and you’ll have something delicious to take on road trips, to the pool, on the plane, or just for a long afternoon at the park. I use honey and palm sugar instead of agave for those of you who prefer a different refined white sugar alternative.
It was a favorite among recipe testers. In fact, it got many “best granola ever!” responses, even from families and husbands. Of course, Joe and I love it. There are big clumps of crunchy, cinnamony-sweet oats, seeds, and nuts. We always dig through and pick out the big chunks and the little pieces in the bottom of the jar get sprinkled on yogurt.
Some of the healthier ingredients include:
- Pepitas, which Natural News calls one of nature’s perfect foods, and contain amino acids, calcium, potassium, B vitamins, and beta carotene
- Sunflower seeds contain vitamin E, vitamin B1, manganese, and magnesium
- Flaxseed meal is an incredible source of omega-3 fatty acds
- Oats are a whole grain and a good source of dietary fiber
- Unsweetened applesauce stands in for some of the oil so the overall fat content is reduced
To make this nut-free, simply substitute 1/2 cup each of pepitas and sunflower seeds for the almonds.
Also – stop by DinnerTool.com. They’re featuring one of my favorite slow cooker meals this month.
Other Gluten-Free Granola Recipes
- Chewy Granola Bars from SS&GF
- Crunchy Gluten-Free Granola from She Let Them Eat Cake
- Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars from Adventures of a Gluten-Free Mom
What are your favorite summertime, easy-to-travel with snacks?
Serves: about 8½ cups, 12 servings
- 4 cups gluten-free whole grain rolled oats
- 1 cup sliced raw almonds
- ¾ cup raw pepitas
- ¾ cup raw sunflower seeds
- ½ cup flaxseed meal
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup grape seed or other neutral-flavored oil
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons palm sugar, divided
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce, divided
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons honey, divided
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup juice sweetened dried cranberries
- ¾ cup organic raisins
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, almonds, pepitas, sunflower seeds, flaxseed meal, cinnamon, and salt. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the oil, ¼ cup palm sugar, and 2 tablespoons applesauce. Microwave for 20 to 30 seconds and stir to dissolve the palm sugar, then stir in ¼ cup honey and the vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients onto the dry ingredients and mix until the oats and nuts are coated. Make sure to scrape every last drop of the wet ingredients into the dry. Combine until evenly coated. Spread evenly onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes.
- While the granola is baking, mix together the remaining 2 tablespoons each of palm sugar, applesauce, and honey in a small bowl. Set aside. After 30 minutes, remove the granola from the oven and drizzle the remaining wet ingredients on top. Stir well to evenly distribute. Use a rubber spatula to press the granola down firmly into the baking pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes longer, until the granola is lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool completely. Break into bite-size pieces and mix in the cranberries and raisins. Store in an air tight container.