I decided to enter Rudi’s Unbelievably Good Gluten-Free Recipe Contest after being told several times that I should…and this is my entry.
It’s gluten-free, dairy-free, and refined sugar-free – not to mention full of rich flavors and textures.
If you like my recipe, please hop on over and vote for it! You can vote once a day through June 6th and honestly, since I entered at the last minute I can use all the votes I can get.
The contest is on Facebook so all you need to do is “Like” Rudi’s in order to vote. No annoying sign-ups required.
Serves: 12 cupcakes
- 4 cups small diced Rudi’s Multigrain Gluten-Free Bread, about 6 slices
- 2¼ cups light coconut milk from a can, divided
- ½ cup coconut palm sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a standard 12 hole muffin tin with cupcake papers.
- Put the diced Rudi’s Multigrain Gluten-Free Bread in a large bowl and set aside.
- Combine ½ cup light coconut milk and the palm sugar in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 45 seconds and stir until the palm sugar is dissolved. In another medium bowl, whisk together the remaining 1¾ cups light coconut milk, eggs, vanilla, and sea salt. Whisk in the warm coconut milk and palm sugar. Pour the mixture over the Rudi’s Multigrain Gluten-Free Bread, add the shredded coconut, and stir to combine. Allow to soak for 20 minutes, or until the Rudi’s Multigrain Gluten-Free Bread is fully saturated.
- Use a standard spring-release ice cream scoop to divide the batter evenly between the prepared cups. The cups will be nearly full. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the cupcakes are slightly puffed, golden brown, and set in the center. The center of the cupcakes should read 200 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer.
- Let cool for 5 minutes in the cupcake tin then transfer to a paper towel lined wire rack to cool completely before frosting. Do not frost while still warm.
Serves: frosts 12 cupcakes
- 2 cups raw macadamia nuts
- ¾ cup light coconut milk from a can
- ¼ cup agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
- ¼ cup unsweetened, toasted coconut flakes
- Put the macadamia nuts, light coconut milk, agave nectar, virgin coconut oil, and sea salt in a high powered blender. Start on low speed and increase to high, scraping down as necessary, and processing until completely smooth. Transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate.
- Take the 2 cans of full fat coconut milk out of the refrigerator (they must be cold for this to work!) and carefully open them. The fat from the coconut will have risen to the top and solidified. Carefully remove the fat from the top of the can being careful not to get any of the liquid underneath. Put the coconut fat into a large bowl and whip on high speed until light and fluffy and approximately double in volume.
- Remove the chilled macadamia cream from the refrigerator. Stir ¼ of the whipped coconut fat directly into the macadamia cream. Fold the remaining whipped coconut fat in 2 – 3 additions. Spread on top of cooled cupcakes or use a fancy pastry tip to pipe frosting on top. Sprinkle the toasted coconut flakes on top of the frosted cupcakes for garnish.