You know how you get a recipe in your head and you want to make it. You really do. But somehow you just never get around to throwing the ingredients together? That’s exactly what happened with this creamy zucchini soup. Zucchini season has come and gone twice. Each time I thought about making this soup. I didn’t get much further than that.
Finally. This year I made the soup. It was worth the wait.
We like zucchini at our house. It’s kind of like all-purpose glue. You can use it to make just about anything. Cookies. Bread. Entrees. And, yes, soup. It will take on the flavors you choose. And, it’s got a silky-smooth texture when you whirl it in a blender.
It’s a simple recipe, and honestly, that simplicity is what makes it so good. Instead of sour cream or heavy cream, I used cashews to give it a luscious texture. I used my VitaMix to get the cashews to blend completely into the soup. If you don’t have one, try soaking the cashews for several hours or even overnight to soften them up.
I like this soup piping hot. It’s also great right out of the refrigerator. You can’t go wrong.
Ready to play in the kitchen? First, read about the health benefits of zucchini. (I never thought of zucchini as a health food before this.) Then, go make some soup. And try some of these zucchini recipes too:
- Zucchini Cookies with Lemon Cream Cheese Drizzle
- Zucchini & Brown Rice Gratin
- Stewed Zucchini & Chickpeas with Oven Baked Polenta
What’s been on your to-make list way too long?
Serves: serves 6 - 8
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1½ teaspoons curry powder
- 2 pounds zucchini, sliced
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- ½ cup raw cashews
- sea salt, as needed
- grated raw zucchini, optional
- Put the chopped onion in a large soup pot with 2 tablespoons of water. Cover the pot and sweat the onions until they're soft.
- Add the curry powder and stir for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the sliced zucchini and then the vegetable stock. Simmer for 20 minutes or until zucchini is very tender.
- Put the cashews in the bottom of your VitaMix. Add part of the soup and blend until smooth. transfer to a clean pot.
- Add the remaining zucchini and broth and blend until smooth, making sure that there are still flecks of dark green in the soup. Add to the soup in the clean pot. Stir to combine.
- Taste and add salt if desired.
- Serve hot, at room temperature, or chilled. Garnish with raw, shredded zucchini if desired.