Welcome to Slightly Indulgent Monday – a celebration of fabulous food made healthier!
If you read labels, there is sugar in the most unsuspected places. It’s in nearly everything…from salad dressings to bacon. And, yes, it’s generally in taco seasoning. I’m sure there are brands out there without sugar – and possibly without gluten – but I prefer not to eat whatever else is in that little package.
So I make my own – a big batch and then keep it in a mason jar. My favorite part is that I can tweak the flavors so it’s exactly what I want. It’s also quite frugal. I buy my spices in bulk and can make an entire batch of taco seasoning for less than a buck. It’ll easily season 2 big batches of tacos, maybe more.
This is a simple and quick dinner for busy weeknights. I usually stir a can of beans into my browned meat, too. I eat this as a salad with my favorite toppings – shredded carrots and radishes, salsa, oaxaca cheese, fresh tomatoes, and cilantro.
A change this week – I’ve been working like crazy to get the St. Jude Recipe Book done, so there’s no featured blogger or give-away this week. Hopefully all will be back to normal next week.
Winners from last week: Kim from Gluten-Free is Life won The Gluten-Free Homemaker’s E-books, Cakes & Cookies and Yeast Breads & Quick Breads. Ann Trudeau, reader, won Jessica Fisher’s e-books – Pretty. Cool. Cakes. and Fishmama’s Guide to Cooking with Children. Jessica authors Life as Mom. Congrats!
Both of these fabulous bloggers have their e-books for sale at a very reasonable price – if you’ve enjoyed their blogs I strongly suggest that you support their work and purchase their books.
Reminder: Holiday Food Fest is Thursday, hosted by Alta at Tasty Eats at Home. Link up your favorite fall or Thanksgiving dish or just stop by and comment. She has a great give-away – an apron from Flirty Aprons.
When you link, please tell us who you are and what you’re cooking . For example, I would enter:
Amy @ Simply Sugar & Gluten Free – Triple Berry Coconut Cake. Please link to your individual post, not your homepage. And, I always appreciate a link back to this post. If you don’t have a blog, you can share a recipe in the comment section.
|1. HoosierHomemade(Tex Mex Chicken Skillet)
2. Kitchen Stewardship – Healthified Apple Bars
3. Iris at The Daily Dietribe: Sweet Potato Coconut Soup
4. Lauren @ Celiac Teen (3 minute Pumpkin Cake)
5. Katrina @ Gluten Free Gidget- Italian Stuffed Acorn Squash
6. Kari @ Eating Simply – The Lady at the Market’s Cushaw Pie
|7. SnoWhite @ Finding Joy in My Kitchen (No-Nut Pesto)
8. Hallie @ Daily Bites (Cranberry-Pecan Date Balls)
9. Kim – Gluten-free is Life – Old Fashioned Gingerbread
10. Linda @ Gluten-Free Homemaker (cranberry-orange coffee cake)
11. Chaya – Linguine without shrimp
12. Sandy@A Little Bit of Heaven-DF SF Banana Pudding
|13. Jessica @ ATX Gluten Free (Chicken Apple Bake)
14. Chelsey – Heaven Sent Muffins
15. Stephanie (English Muffin Bread)
16. Amanda @ Coping with Frugality(Bread Machine Cinnamon Rolls)
17. The Prudent Homemaker (Citrus Fruit Salad)
18. Newlyweds (Chocolate Pumpkin Oatmeal)