I’ve tried several times to make yogurt in my CrockPot with no success. The closest I came was a clumpy mess the consistency of thin tomato soup. No good. I’ve seen the jar and cooler method but it’s too involved for me.
Still, I often talk about wanting to make yogurt.
My husband really listens to what I say. For my birthday, he bought me a yogurt maker – this Salton with pretty little glass jars that you make the yogurt in. (He got me 12 pieces of vintage Pyrex, too – and some of them still have the original glass lids. They’re beautiful.)
Some girls want Prada bags and BMWs. Not me. I want kitchen appliances, antique cookware and utensils, great knives, food processors, tons of mason jars, kitchen gadgets, and a garden.
I followed a recipe out of the book using the organic yogurt starter he bought. Only 3 ingredients needed.
Oh my goodness…talk about thick, rich, and creamy with the perfect tang. I was shocked – everything I’ve read says that homemade yogurt needs to thicken in the refrigerator. This is thick when it comes out of the yogurt maker- no setting up needed.
It’s better than the Greek Yogurt I buy at the store. Joe has even been eating it for dessert. We’re on our second batch already.
A Few Tips
When you make homemade yogurt, you’ll need:
- to use a metal spoon – a wooden spoon can contaminate the culture and it won’t set up correctly.
- a clean saucepan or pot.
- the jars and lids that come with the yogurt maker – make sure they’re clean, too.
- a reliable instant read digital thermometer.
- organic yogurt starter. (This is how I’ve been doing it – you can also use 1/2 cup of already made yogurt.)
In the recipe below, I tell you exactly how I made my yogurt so that you can get the same results.
A Few Yogurt Links
- Jenn from The Leftover Queen makes her own yogurt and has it for breakfast.
- Diana from A Little Bit of Spain in Iowa has an extensive yogurt tutorial here.
- Katie from Kitchen Stewardship makes her yogurt using the jar and cooler method – too much work for me but it works for her and it might work for you, too.
- I have a give-away this week for Pamela’s Products – there will be 3 winner. Check out the details here.
- You can still link your healthier recipe to Slightly Indulgent Tuesday here. There are many great recipes for you to browse, too.