Updated at 8 pm CST, 1/24/10 – Contest Closed!
Can these gluten free, sugar free cookies really boost your immunity? I don’t know. But they’re packed with healthier ingredients that have health supporting properties. Let’s take a look at the ingredients. (Info from World’s Healthiest Foods.)
- Cranberries have anti-viral properties and have been shown in studies to have anti-biotic like properties.
- Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties, can help relieve digestive stress, and has immune boosting properties.
- Raisins contain anti-oxidants and also contain boron, a mineral important for bone health.
- Teff is a nutrition packed grain high in protein and contains vitamin B6, niacin, and folate – all important for good health.
- Walnuts are packed with omega-3 fatty acids to help heart health, have anti-inflammatory properties, and, contain anti-oxidants that may support the immune system.
- Yogurt is a food we all know is good for us – it helps boost our immune system and is great for digestive health. I am pretty sure that the good stuff is killed when you bake the cookies so if you want the immune boost here, dip your cookies in it.
Serves: 36 yummy cookies
- 1 cup teff flour
- ¾ cup sorghum flour
- ½ cup arrowroot starch
- 1¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup organic agave
- 2 tablespoons yacon syrup
- 2 large free-range eggs
- ½ cup organic, low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- zest from one lemon
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup toasted walnuts, roughly chopped
- In a medium bowl, whisk together teff, sorghum, arrowroot, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, xanthan gum, nutmeg, salt and cloves. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip butter until light and airy. Add agave and yacon syrup and continue to mix for 3 minutes or so, until thoroughly incorporated. It will be thick. That’s ok. Add eggs eggs one at a time, incorporating the first before adding the second. Add yogurt, ginger, and lemon zest and mix until smooth.
- Mix raisins, cranberries, and walnuts in a bowl. Fit mixer with paddle attachment and add flour in one addition and mix until just combined, scraping down once or twice. Add 2 cups of the nut mix and mix until just combined. If necessary, make a few final folds with a spatula, cover, and refrigerate for at least an hour. Batter will be sticky.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat. Using a cookie scoop, drop cookies onto lined baking sheet. Top each cookie with a little of the remaining nut mixture, pressing down slightly. Bake for 12-14 minutes until the cookies are set a lightly golden brown.
- Let cool on baking sheet for a minute or two and then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. Store in an airtight container. Wrap in twos and freeze for an immune boosting mid-day snack.
The Give-Away – a $50 Shopping Spree to iHerb.com!
I have been shopping with iHerb.com for a long time. I had some bad experiences with other on-line specialty stores and was a little skeptical. iHerb.com exceeded all of my expectations with top-knotch customer service, quick shipping and quality products, including a wide range of products that are gluten-free!
They also have a neat affiliate program where they pay you a referral percentage for the customers you send their way. Read more about their program here.
I haven’t made one affiliate sale yet, but I do have a code. If you want to order from iHerb.com and get $5 off your first order use this code (also in my sidebar): SIR086
Here’s what I got with my $50 shopping spree:
Can you believe that was only $50?
Here’s how to win you’re own $50 iHerb.com Shopping Spree:
- Leave a comment about what you’d like to try from iHerb.com.
- Tweet about this give-away with a link and leave a comment telling me you did.
- Post about the give-away on your blog with a link back and leave a comment telling me you did.
- Register on the iHerb.com site and leave a comment telling me you did. (The winner has to be registered on iHerb.com.)
- Subscribe to my feed either via RSS or e-mail – leave a comment so I know.
- Follow me on Twitter – again, leave a comment.
- Add me to your friends on Facebook with a comment.
Note: This contest will be open until Sunday, January 24th at 8pm CST. The winner has to live in the continental US. Sorry to all of my international friends!
That’s 7 ways to win this incredible prize! Have fun.
Slightly Indulgent Tuesday is tomorrow – come back and link your healthier recipe!
January’s Edition of the Gluten Free Progressive Dinner Party starts today – visit the following blogs for soups and stews made healthier!