This simple to make gluten-free, refined sugar-free dessert has been rolling around in my head for months. I wanted to include it in my book but time got away from me. So, you’re getting it now.
Carol Fenster – Gluten-Free Guru
Last week Carol Fenster, a pioneer in gluten-free cooking and author of 9 gluten-free cookbooks, came to Dallas and spoke at the Gluten Intolerance Group of North Texas. Her topic was Whole Grains & Beans. She promised to make it exciting. Carol delivered.
Everyone around me was frantically taking notes. Carol included simple-to-implement ideas for getting the necessary 25 – 38 grams of fiber a day in our diet such as:
- Make muesli and have it for breakfast
- Add whole grains to egg dishes, puddings, and stuffings
- Make dessert based in whole grains
- “Hide” whole grains in chocolate desserts
- Match the flavor and texture of the whole grain to the dish you’re making
- Use beans in desserts
- Grains and beans with rich colors, like red and black quinoa, red beans, and black rice, are packed with antioxidants and phytonutrients just like fruit and veggies are
It was so affirming to hear one of my favorite gluten-free gurus affirm how I’ve been cooking and eating.
Carol also had a great point about ‘seeds’ versus ‘grains’ – she said that it really confuses some people when you get into the fact that certain foods like quinoa and buckwheat are really not grains. It’s good to know if you’re grain-free. Though they’re not technically grains they’re still nutrition and fiber packed. Add them to your diet.
Clearly Carol motivated me to quit thinking about this nutritious dessert and make it. I ate it for dessert one night and the next morning I had it for breakfast. It’s perfect either way.
Other Grain & Bean Recipes:
- Chocolate Walnut Black Bean Brownies from me
- Almond Spice Bean Pie from The Spunky Coconut
- Papaya Banana Whole Grain “Ice Cream” from me
- Buckwheat Groat & Oat Waffles from Lexie’s Kitchen
- Quinoa Pasta with Zucchini and Fennel from Gluten-Free Life with Jen
Now, go make this healthy dessert.