I’ve been whipping up variations on this healthy dessert for weeks. I love baking and cooking for the holidays, but at some point enough was enough. I started craving something light and creamy, healthy enough to eat for breakfast if I wanted and decadent enough to satisfy my sweet tooth.
Little effort had to be part of the equation, too, because I was so busy with the holiday hustle and bustle. I decided to do a variation on my Blueberry Banana ‘Ice Cream’ using plain, organic yogurt.
This is the prefect way to use your overripe bananas. The banana adds creaminess and consistency akin to a soft-serve frozen yogurt with none of the added sugar. Make sure to freeze the banana overnight. You don’t need an ice cream maker, either. Just a mini-food chopper or a food processor. I make this in a single batch just for me. If you want to make it in a bigger batch, instead of doubling the recipe try adding ¼ cup of yogurt for each extra banana. You can add more yogurt if you want a thinner consistency.
This is linked to Life As Mom’s Ultimate Recipe Swap.
Serves: 1 serving
- 1 medium to large frozen banana, cut into chunks
- 6 frozen bing cherries
- ½ cup organic plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped nuts to top (optional)
- Place banana and bing cherries in the bowl of a mini-food chopper or food processor and process until chopped in smaller pieces. Add yogurt and process until smooth.
- Remove bowl from food processor and, with lid ajar, place into freezer for 20 – 30 minutes. Remove, scrape sides of the bowl, and process until just until smooth.
- Place into a custard bowl and, if desired, top with chopped nuts.