I had my first kale salad at a raw restaurant right before I found out I was pregnant. Honestly, I wasn’t too keen on eating raw kale before I had that salad. It was full of flavor contrasts, texture, and just plain goodness.
Once I got past the first 3 months of my pregnancy, I craved that salad. (I couldn’t even look at spinach during the first 3 months…) The restaurant was way too far to stop by for dinner so I ended up getting hooked on Whole Foods’ salad bar. I love their assortment of yummy greens, especially the chopped kale. It’s packed with vitamins K, A, C, some B vitamins, calcium, and so many other nutrients.
Life in the kitchen is so much different now that Nate is here. Cooking is just not the same with a little one by my side. So, I started practicing with my Moby Wrap. It took a while. (Yes…those things have a learning curve!) Once I mastered that long, crazy thing I was able to get around with so much more ease. And, oh how I love it!
I can do laundry, unload the dishwasher, and even run the vacuum cleaner with him in the wrap. He isn’t one of those kids that will stay in the wrap all day – some moms claim they wear their baby all day long. That blows my mind. This little guy wants to kick his legs and move his arms. So, we alternate and seem to be happy that way.
So, when I was able to get through this entire recipe and cleaned up the kitchen with Nate in the Moby Wrap I was one excited momma. My little guy was completely content and I had a big kale salad.
My favorite thing about this salad is the flavor contrast between the bitter kale and the sweet apples and cabbage. I was worried about the apple turning brown and looking well, gross, but the vinegar helps it from oxidizing.
If you’ve never had a kale salad before, this is the one to try.
I’d love to know – How do you manage life in the kitchen with kids? And do you have a favorite raw or salad recipe?
Serves: serves 4 - 6
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- a few turns of the pepper mill, or to taste
- 4 cups finely chopped kale, tough ribs removed
- 2 cups finely chopped red cabbage
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 2 organic apples, grated with peels on
- 2 - 4 tablespoons raw sunflower seeds
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, salt, thyme, and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the kale, red cabbage, carrots, and apples.
- Pour the dressing over the kale mixture and toss to combine.
- Cover and let it sit at room temperature for 30 to 45 minutes, until the kale begins to soften and wilt.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Sprinkle with sunflower seeds immediately before serving.
This post contains affiliate links.