Try this healthy naturally gluten-free and sugar-free smoothie instead of your morning cup of coffee or as a mid-day pick-me-up.
I’ve always been a ‘just add water’ kind of green smoothie girl, never really wanting to add the extra calories or fat from milk, dairy-free or not. And then I saw unsweetened So Delicious Coconut milk at the store. (It was on sale and I had a coupon…I couldn’t pass it up.)
By itself, it doesn’t have any flavor at all but it does have a smoothness that I like. With half the calories of a cup a of 1% milk, healthy fats, some calcium, vitamin D, folate, iron, and B12 I decided it was worth a try.
Gosh, am I glad I did. If there was such a thing as a Green Smoothie Milk Shake without the stomach-turning sweetness this is it. It’s creamy with just a hint of richness…almost enough to make you forget that the green stuff you’re sucking through a straw is actually healthy.
And for those of you who don’t like the flavor of coconut – no worries. There’s no coconut taste but you still get all the health benefits.
If you don’t have any frozen fruit on hand, throw a few ice cubes on top of your greens. You’ll get the same effect.
Have you found a new ingredient you love lately?
Serves: 1 serving
- 10 frozen strawberries, organic if possible
- 1 cup cold unsweetened So Delicious Coconut Milk
- 1 large medjool date**
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 cups of spinach or 2 to 3 big leaves of kale
- Put the ingredients into your VitaMix in the order listed in the ingredient list, with the strawberries on the bottom and the spinach on the top. Start on the lowest speed and gradually increase into high speed. Use the tamper to push the ingredients into the blades. Mix until completely smooth.
- Pour into chilled glasses and serve immediately.