Joe’s been traveling all week. His days on the road are hectic and often doesn’t have time for a good meal. On the rare occasion he does, it’s just another restaurant to him.
When he came home last night I wanted him to have a meal he’d love. I was in the mood for a big grilled chicken salad. That’s not at the top of his list. Improvisation was my solution.
My husband loves brown rice. Something happens whenever I make a dish with his favorite grain. If you like to cook your husband’s favorite foods you know exactly what I’m talking about. He’s smiling as he eats and he can’t get enough. Most importantly, he feels valued and loved.
My impromptu menu:
- A big green salad with all his favorites – shredded leaf lettuce, slices of artichoke hearts, cremini mushrooms, grape tomatoes, and pepitas
- Grilled Balsamic Dijon Chicken
- Zucchini & Brown Rice Gratin
- Fresh baked gluten-free bread
- Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream
Joe got a good home cooked meal and I still got my salad. And yes, he loved every bite. Even the leftovers.
What are some of the foods your family loves?
This post is linked to Two for Tuesday at A Moderate Life.